
I had agreed to take dinner to a couple in our ward tonight who just had a baby. It got me thinking of the other couple in our ward that we have taken dinner to. (I've been in the ward for 1.5 years, and have only been asked to take dinner twice.) Anyway, the previous couple has not returned the containers we took the food in, nor did we ever get any sort of thanks. (I think their little girl is probably 8-9 months old now).
Our discussion about not returning containers (even if they were just Gladware, they had my name on them...) led to discussion about thank yous, and whether or not they should be given when someone brings you food. Chris agrees that they are a nice gesture, but not required. He thinks it's a "what goes around, comes around" type of situation, where as members of the church, we know that we do a good deed and someone will return it eventually.
I say they aren't absolutely required, but my heavens, someone just went out of their way to supply you with a dinner that is above and beyond what they normally would make-- you better at least acknowledge them, even if it is just when you return their containers. It's true, you probably have received, or will receive, your own fair share of service, but I still think it's appropriate to thank the people. Even as members of the church, they don't have to do it; they choose to serve you, as an individual, at that particular time. People who send thank you notes definitely score big points in my book (and it makes me want to do nice things for them again).
We took dinner in something that doesn't need returned, but I wonder if we'll see a thank you.
I want to hear what other people think of the thank you gesture. Just a nicety, or should people feel obligated?
{ graphic from paperedtogether etsy shop }

2 comments:
I don't see thank you as necessarily either an obligation or a nicety...its a courtesy shown to acknowledge what they did for me. I don't really feel obligated to do it, per se although I feel its something I need to do.
I think its a mark of good character and upbringing--President Hinckley included it in his list of the "Be's", so on his recommendation, I would say--make the effort.
Of course, it takes a little extra time and effort, and you sometimes feel when you give out thank you notes, that people should be sending you thank yous for the thank you. . . but its got to stop somewhere.
Post a Comment