Tuesday, April 3, 2007

China

Last week Chris and I finally got rid of the items we've had hanging
around our apartment, waiting their turn to be donated to D.I. Before
we donated our stuff, I thought we should run in and check out canning
jars (since everyone thinks about them in the middle of canning
season...)

In the "Collectibles" case there was a bunch of silver, and then on the other side there was a lot of China (do you capitalize it even if it's just the plates you eat off?). I looked at it, liking the pattern well enough, looked at some other stuff, and then got this excited feeling. "All that China could be mine!" I found Chris, and he immediately dismissed the idea. Dangit. But, I pointed out that each piece was only $.50. He countered that the dinner plates were $1.00 and bigger pieces were up to $2.00 a piece.

Dang. Then I started counting how much it would cost, pulling Chris in and working
on the sale. We counted, kind of estimating how much it would cost. Finally Chris gave in and said we could do it!!

The girl manning the "collectibles" said she didn't know how much it costs. So, we told her our estimate. If we would have known that she was going with our counting, we definitely would have low-balled it! Oh well.

We got to wrap each piece with the girl, and this kid that would fit right in Mom's
class. He was a little obnoxious (because he thought he was so funny! We came home with two big boxes (like computer boxes) full of China. We ended up with thirty (30) dinner plates, about twenty (20) teacups, saucers and salad plates numerous enough that we haven't counted (probably 30 each), two butter dishes, two serving platters, a creamer and sugar bowl (missing the lid) and a large serving bowl.

Pictures to come, but Blogger was being ANNOYING!

We got to use it on Saturday at our Conference brunch, and it made me feel so grown up! I realized that Chris's aunt and uncle sent us Belgian laceplace mats and other linens for our wedding, and now that we have something better than Corelware, we might have to pull it out! You're all invited!

And we did get a dozen canning jars for a quarter a piece! They are cool old ones!

2 comments:

Alisha Wilkins said...

Isn't D.I. great?! I love finding buys like that there! I always loved my Mom's nativity scene growing up and one day I found that exact same one in D.I. for $15! Troy and I also found the "tube of death" there, but that actually was facing your death so it was retired! Maybe that is why it was donated to D.I.?!?!? :)

sara said...

Deid- GOOD find Missy! I think there are a bunch of websites now that have parts and pieces to old china. I may be making this up, but I think one of the places was featured in Real Simple. I'll see if I can find the issue. Might work to find the lid to your sugar bowl???