Monday, June 11, 2007

Thoughtful Service

Since I've been "playing" housewife, one of the things I've really focused on and tried to improve was the service I give to others. I think I've done pretty well, but have seen some great examples the past few days.

While I've been home for my grandpa's funeral, and now staying a little bit longer, our family has been blessed with so many gestures of thoughtful service. It has made me think about the service I give, and the little things that mean so much. I see so much room for improvement in my life.

First off, the cards that my parents have received have been quite numerable, and not just from the closest of friends. And the plants and flowers sent to the service were plenty. I was touched that in-laws sent them to our family.

There have been so many meals brought to our home as well. Nights of dinners lined up, so my mom didn't have to think about what to feed the masses that were home. One thoughtful lady even brought breakfast for the morning of the funeral, and I don't think it was something she asked if she could do, or that she was asked to do. She just called to make sure we were home and showed up with it.

Today my mom opened a sympathy card that contained two sheets of stamps. With so many thank you notes to send, these are an especially thoughtful thing to send along.

Even though I'm young and don't have many friends or acquaintances losing loved ones, I can learn from these examples of service and apply them to other situations that arise. Because they really do mean so much.

No comments: