Friday, September 3, 2010

Comforts

Lately I've realized that I have been making comfort food and trying to do as many "normal" things as possible to make this place feel like home. Nothing like baking bread and rolls to make me feel at home. Even if our kitchen throws me for a loop. I keep telling myself that soon enough I'll have a rhythm down. We've eaten tuna bagels* and barbecue chicken sandwiches** this week. And lots of fresh fruit.

Today the weather is nice, for the first time this week. We've had some pretty good rain storms, but as soon as the rain stops and the sun comes out it is hot and muggy. Somehow, humid here feels (and smells) worse than the humid I knew in DC. Today is cooler and breezy, without much humidity. I've had the doors and windows open all day. It reminds me of autumn days, coming home from school to an open house. It just feels right. (Don't worry-- the heat is supposed to come back early next week. Bringing the humidity with it, I'm sure.)

Today I got to attend Institute with Chris. The familiar seventies LDS architecture, same strange maroon chairs that are staples of the Logan Institute and meetinghouses all around made me feel at home. There may only be one Institute teacher and our class was smaller than any I've ever attended, but it's good to have a place where I belong. Plus, they feed us. Institute classes that provide meals are the ones for me. I'm so grateful for an instant network of people where I fully belong. I never even introduced myself to the teacher, but he later asked me, "Is there enough bread out, Deidra?" Chris says he was standing by our table when we introduced ourselves to the others, but I'm still impressed.

Chris got a voice mail from a lady in the ward that we've hung out with recently. She said, "This is your new friend... We were wondering when we're going to hang out again." It's good to have people consider you new friends. I've decided I'm going to start attending our ward's play group. I might not have a kiddo, but I need socialization just as much as any mom. I like the women in our ward.



* Tuna Bagels: Mix one softened brick cream cheese with one can drained tuna and one sliced green onion (green and whites). Smear on halved bagels, put under the broiler until edges are toasted and bubbly.

** Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches: Bake homemade whole wheat rolls, about hamburger bun size. Slice and fill with diced chicken breast, sauteed, then covered in barbecue sauce, thinly sliced green peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, sauteed sliced mushrooms, and a good smear of Miracle Whip. Wrap in foil, then return to oven until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

that is a fun phone call. and i'm happy (and a little jealous too) that their institute serves food.

The Nate and Sara Project said...

Excellent idea to go to play group. I encourage you to go to all of the little things organized for moms/kids. I faithfully attended park group when we moved here, becuase let's face it, it's just an excuse for mom's to get together and chat. Funny thing is, now I haven't gone once since I had Evan! See, people are already ling up at your door to hang out with you. ;) Thank heavens for the Gospel, in so many ways. Wish I was attending Institute with you and eating your homemade bread.

Jean said...

There are few things better than yummy food and new friends. Hooray!! I'm glad you're starting to feel at home. :-)