Monday, October 31, 2011

Crazy Roadtrip

Chris's cousin got married in DC the second Saturday in October.

We decided to take a weekend, make a week out of it and go to see as many friends as we could possibly fit in. (This semester Chris's last class for the week ends at 8:00 Wednesday night, and Monday and Tuesday were fall break. We left as soon as class was over and didn't come back until we had to!)

We stayed the first night with Tameka's old roommate and her family in Pittsburgh. We left after Chris got done with class at 8:00 Wednesday night, and planned to just sneak in around 3:00 and hit the sack. Due to a little confusion on which day we were arriving, we made a scene calling the house phone and ringing the doorbell at 3:00 am. Pam ever so graciously set us up and took great care of us. Then I had a nice little chat with Kristin at 4:30 when she woke up and realized the confusion. No worries, we were tucked in safely in the basement.

We drove to DC Thursday, getting a warm welcome while sitting in traffic on the Beltway. We made it to Maren (my DC roommate), Joseph and Addie's house. It was good fun catching up, playing with Addie and being out of the car!

That night we met up with Chris's GW Troubadour friends. Troubs was such a huge part of his college experience. I felt like I knew most of them from all the stories I've heard. It was great to actually meet them! We met at TGIFridays, one of their big hang-outs back in the day. We were the first to arrive, so Chris left Millie and I in the foyer. Adam walked in. I said hi, he told me I had a cute baby, and then I told him Chris was in the bathroom. It was this funny little we knew who each other was, but we've never met and Chris wasn't there to make introduction. It didn't matter.
This reunion brought to you by rapid Facebook updates from several members while watching The Sing-Off. That got the ball rolling. Coincidentally, some other out-of-towners were also in town that night.
The next day was so fun for me. Maren and I went off thrifting while Chris stayed home with napping babes. It was fun to act like we were still young little interns, even if we're grown-up moms now. Back to their apartment, we made a visit to a park up the street. Millie got her first swing experience.


I'll forever be grateful for friends who suggested Maren and I be roommates when we left USU for DC. I learned so much from her friendship and example-- and still do!
That night we got to join the bride and groom and their families on a Potomac River dinner cruise. There were some tense 20 minutes in our car while it was in doubt whether we would make the ship. Chris does not handle being late very well, and when the stakes of being late mean you miss the whole thing, well, no efforts from his wife to lighten the mood do anything. Except for further frustrate him! :) Despite the weird construction near Rock Creek park, and thanks to Chris's street savvy DC driving, we made it before the ship set sail! (There was a willingness to pay whatever necessary at the closest parking garage, unbuckling Millie from her car-set as soon as we pulled off the street and a mad dash involved.)

I love sunsets, and sunsets on water are the best.

She had to keep her eyes open that wide. If she would have shut them, she would have fallen fast asleep since it was way past her bedtime.



It was so fun catching up with Ann, Paul and Chris's cousins. I love Aunt Ann's family. Plus, Chris was an integral part of retaining honor in a mad Trivial Pursuit game.

We've developed quite the knack for parking near black Bentleys. We can't help but think of our B when we do!

We changed houses and friends that night and stayed with one of Chris's dear friends from the Craig-days, Chelsey, her husband and baby Archie. Reminiscing about the old days with good friends is so enjoyable.


The next day was gorgeous. It was the perfect day for a fall wedding! I love temple sealings. The sealer at Eric and Emma's wedding made it a great moment of learning. It's always nice to be reminded of the covenants Chris and I have made.

That day was also Chris's birthday. We got up and hurried to the temple. After the sealing we were walking down to the distribution center to buy him new underwear. That's when I remembered it was his birthday (because he'd asked for the new underwear for his birthday). I said, "Oh! Happy birthday!"

His response made me laugh. "Yeah! It's my birthday! I would have been so mad at you if you had forgotten it was my birthday because then I wouldn't have remembered either. And I would have been so bugged if I forgot my birthday!"

Earlier in the trip when we were discussing all the friends we could possibly cram into our trip, we brought up the Banburys in Hershey. There just wasn't enough time for a visit though. So, imagine our surprise when we saw them outside the temple! More friends crammed in our week. I love that connections from Logan carry on. The 28th Ward was a great source of friendship.


We ran back to Chelsey's house to get Millie, then back to the district for the wedding luncheon. I think the luncheon at the Hay-Adams beats out my 20th birthday dinner on the roof of Hotel Washington as my favorite DC dining experience.

The view from the balcony is hard to beat.
I mean, really?
 We were those ridiculous people who brought our baby to a fancy luncheon. The waitstaff was beyond gracious with her (and us). She did incredibly well, but required lots of us alternating on entertaining duty. At one point I went into another banquet room to nurse her. Best view while nursing, hands down. I found it funny that I had such a spectacular view out the window, but I still kept staring down at the sweet baby in my arms. She was such a champ on the trip. Missed naps, delayed naps, interrupted naps, irregular feedings, late bedtimes-- she handled them all so well. After I fed her I walked out on the balcony for a bit. With the bright sun in her eyes she couldn't help but close those eyes, and as soon as she did it was lights out.


I love the sweet look shared between Eric and Emma.

We were so glad we were able to be included in Eric and Emma's special day. It was a beautiful day and they are such an incredible couple. It was such a great excuse to get back to DC!

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That's amazing you fit so much in and so many visits. What a fun, fun time.