Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Christmas Vacation, Part One

We were home in Idaho and Utah for nearly three weeks. For those of you trying to figure it out, that's just short of a really long time. A really long time to worry about your empty house, to not sleep in your own bed, to crib-hop, to wear the same clothes over and over, and to be with family. Luckily, it was a good visit, so time with family didn't seem like quite enough. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't worried about that beforehand, but all was well.



I absolutely love my mom's Christmas tree. It's huge and covered in lights. The thing glows. Sitting in front of the fireplace, playing Bejweled Blitz with the tree glowing. Or sitting on the couch waiting to steal the iPad from Mom or Chris to play Bejweled. Happy memories from this Christmas.



We went with the Hartwells to a live nativity in Albion. Oh, Albion. What they lacked in choral skills they sure made up in real, live camels (two).


Millie loved perching on Papa and crashing his naps (always ample opportunity).


We broke up our time in Idaho for a quick trip to Logan. Initially Chris was supposed to present some trainings there, but those fell through, so we used it as time to do some last minute Christmas shopping (including replacing Chris's snow boots he had melted on a camp-out the previous weekend) and to have dinner at the Bluebird with the Fullers!

Evan and Millie have a moment... of holding still.
Back to Declo for the main event!

Christmas Eve we made "gingerbread" houses. Well, everyone else did, but Chris and I combined forces to make a Temple Octagon. We thought we were immensely clever and creative (please note the Angel Moroni).



We feasted Christmas Eve.



And then went to bed, because we all know that the sooner you go to bed, the sooner Santa can come! (A famous saying from my childhood.)


Millie in her new pajamas that magically appeared on her during the night!


Helping Dad tear into his present.

After church and naps it was time for the Wilkins' family party. I don't have any pictures of this, but I can't express how much I love the Wilkins. I'm so glad we get to be a part of that family! I think one of my favorite memories from the whole three weeks happened at the party. My teen/tween cousins (+Kate) were all sitting around in a circle, one of them holding Millie. They were all goo-goo for her and had so much fun playing with her and entertaining her. Someone put some yarn on her head and they all had a good laugh at her cat impersonation. They played with her for a quite a while. Good kids, they are. And my aunts and uncles are just a fun bunch of people. It was the off-year for my family and Whit, so it wasn't quite the same. But getting to be there is just a small consolation prize for missing out on the awesome family reunions over Labor Day.

Then my sisters and their families (minus Ty) descended upon my parents house. There were gifts to be exchanged and lots of fun to be had.



Things basically turned into a three ring (six blanket?) circus of cousin love.


Complete with acrobats...


And monkeys.


Lots of crazy monkeys! My mom crocheted each grandkid a sock monkey hat (plus two more quickly made for sizing issues). Millie thinks the ears are perfect for grabbing on and yanking it right off her head!

And with hats to keep their heads warm, they were off on a cousins adventure in Island Park!

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I am waaaayyyyy far behind. I've never played angry birds let alone bejeweled.

Those sock monkey hats are so cute. I love the picture of you and Millie in your hats in the post.

Oh....the live nativity looks so sweet.

That's funny you thought your trip might last too long. I'm glad it turned out to be so good.