Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Very Full Easter Weekend

Saturday was a busy day. I had signed up for Breakfast with the Easter Bunny at the Y several weeks ago. We started our day off there, and then browsing an auction at the fairgrounds for a bit.

We came home, put Millie down for a nap and Chris left to buy a bike seat from a guy of Craigslist. (Chris had gotten a bike the week before, so now we can bike as a family!) We cleaned it up and put it on my bike.

The Wallins and Wilsons hosted lunch and an Easter egg hunt. Kanien had emailed me the night before saying she had been wondering why I hadn't RSVPed, but then she realized she hadn't invited me. We're glad we got the invite!

While the women were busy in the Wilsons' kitchen getting everything ready for lunch I had this feeling come over me. I might not be able to be with my family, but here with these people is a good place to be. They're our family for now. I am so grateful for friends that help here feel like home.


Then it was across the park to the Wallins' for the Easter egg hunt. Millie doesn't like grass (even with pants on), so despite being plopped down in the middle of three eggs, she didn't go for any of them.


 She needed some help from Dad to reach the higher-up ones instead. And Mom got to enjoy the spoils of sun-warmed Cadbury eggs.

On the way home we bought Millie a helmet and after a nap it was time for our inaugural ride. I'm still a little nervous with such precious cargo on back, but she loves it (and forgets how annoying her helmet is) once we start moving.


We thought about riding our bikes to dinner and the next Easter egg hunt, but decided we'd be a little too saddle sore the next day if we attempted a 10-miler as the second ride of the season.

It worked out well that we drove because we stopped to pick up stuff from the Wallins we had left earlier in the day and Kanien and the girls decided to join us and ride to dinner. (Jon was at school and had their car.)

When I had RSVPed to this party I asked if I should bring anything more than our potluck contribution (like eggs and candy). The friend told me they should be good; they had about 300 eggs!! There ended up being about 10 kids, several infants, a few toddlers and one Marcella.

After we ate the kids were herded inside while the adults hid eggs. It didn't take very long for all the good hiding (more like perching) places were taken and we just started scattering them on the lawn.

This is what you call an eggcorn!

And the hunt was on!






At the earlier hunt each kid was able to get 12 eggs. Marcella asked me how many she could get now. I told her twenty. It wasn't long before she was back to report she had her twenty. I told her to get thirty. Then forty. Then fifty. After fifty I told her to just get as many as she could fit in her basket. I think she ended up with about 72 eggs!


It was such a fun time, scrambling all over the yard and trying to encourage Millie to pick up the eggs. And Mom and Dad ended up with all the candy spoils!


The next morning we had to be at the church at 8:30 to practice with the choir for the Easter program, so we were up and going early. Millie found her Easter basket waiting for her. Chris and I have enjoyed hiding eggs and surprises for each other each Easter since we've been married. But I have to say, being a parent makes holidays so much more enjoyable. It was fun to get Millie's basket from the Easter Bunny arranged just right.


Our bleary-eyed bunny. The Easter Bunny knocked it out of the park with her Easter basket. Go Easter Bunny! :)


This Easter I was strongly struck with how amazing it is that our Savior was resurrected. What a blessing! I feel so much joy at the thought that through Him we can work to be better. Each day we get to try our best, and through Him, we can improve. We don't have to be perfect right now, but we get the opportunity to better ourselves. And we're able to be resurrected and continue on after this life. So much hope, so much joy and so much gratitude.

 

No comments: