
Grandpa Parish passed away early this morning. I was never that close with him, even though we lived probably 6 miles apart my whole growing up, and we saw a decent amount of each other. Last night I was telling Chris that I had no strong fond memories of being with my grandpa. He remarked that he was glad our children won't have to say that.
Some memories I have of Grandpa Parish:
- Him stopping by our house just before lunch time, telling us he wasn't hungry, and eating lunch, then asking what was for dessert.
- Driving the "Blue Streak," as we jokingly called it. It was an old, beat-up blue pickup, with his brand (O bar P) on the grill on the back window.
- Grandpa trained race horses, so every once and a while Dad would stop at the Fairgrounds and we would visit him as the horses took their turn on the walker. He and Dad would talk about the horses, what their chances were, upcoming races, etc.
- A few phrases that are the epitome of Grandpa, to me. "Aww, Hell" and "I probably won't be around at the next [insert next holiday, event or birthday]."
- In sixth grade my class had read a book that was set during WWII. We had a whole list of projects to choose from to complete on the book. One of the options was talking with a WWII vet. I can't remember if I asked my grandpa to come into my class, or if I was just supposed to interview him, but he backed out the night before it was due, and I was left with nothing. (Luckily, I have an amazingly artistically talented mom who came to my rescue). I remember crying and crying, and my dad came to talk to me. He pretty much just leveled with me, and told me that his whole life he had been let-down and disappointed by his dad. We shed some tears together. And I learned to appreciate my dad just a little more, because he was always there for me.
- Also in 6th grade, I had a friend that lived in a trailer across the street from Grandpa's. Even though she was living in a trailer house, I was ashamed that my grandpa was, too. A messy trailer that smelled like natural gas.
- Constantly being told how great of an athlete I was. Grandpa's favorite child was always the one with a current sport season. And the coaches never realized how good we (as his grandchildren) were. He came to a lot of my volleyball games, and I appreciated that. Although as a high schooler I probably didn't appreciate it enough.
My grandpa had a quite a life. A life I'm sure I don't understand even a little bit of. This loss hasn't devastated me life my Grandma Parish's death did, but I know that there will be a hole in my life. He really won't be around for the next [insert holiday here], and that will be a little strange.

No comments:
Post a Comment