Friday, September 26, 2008

Thought Labyrinth

Lately I've had a terrible time falling asleep at night. I think it started a little while ago when we got to bed late, then I rationalized sleeping in, and then couldn't get to sleep the next night, starting an awful little cycle. Even breaking the cycle and forcing myself to wake up early, I still have struggled to fall asleep.

Chris never lies awake, tossing and turning. So I try my hardest to at least be still while I can't sleep. With the exception of waking him when his gentle snores start (because that only makes my problem worse)!

So, there I lie, sometimes for hours. Lately I've found myself playing a game I used to play when I was quite little and couldn't fall asleep. I let my mind wander, or in the case of insomnia, race. When I get to a really random thought, I start tracing my thoughts back, seeing what thought prompted what thought, and trying to see how far back I can go. It's interesting to see how I get from one thought to a very different thought, all through somewhat linked and logical in-between thoughts.

A few nights ago this game reminded me of the labyrinth in a nave at the local Episcopal church. I've only walked it once, but I enjoyed the process. The physical labyrinth and my thought labyrinth are similar, in that you go in, wander around, reach the end point, and then start the exit. 

Labyrinths are supposed to be great places for meditation. I've found my thought labyrinth somewhat helpful in my quest to slow my mind and ease into sleep.

Have you walked a labyrinth? Do you play this game yourself (or in conversations with others)?

Photo and article on labyrinth found here. No David Bowie, sorry.

3 comments:

Alisha Wilkins said...

Funny that as soon as I saw the title to this post I immediately thought of the movie with David Bowie (my all time fav. show!)

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I have never thought of this Deidra. Ever! It was fascinating to hear of you doing this to go to sleep. I drop off so quickly (too quickly for safety sometimes) that I doubt I would have ever discovered this trick, but it's a good one.

I haven't ever walked a labyrinth...yet.

Les said...

I've had trouble falling asleep lately too! And I hate 3:30 in the morning-I've been waking up almost every night around then, and then I can't fall back asleep again. I'll have to try your labrynth idea...I'll let you know how it works.