Monday, August 23, 2010

First Day of School

Isn't he handsome? He had orientation last week, but today starts his first day of his PhD program, though he doesn't start classes until tomorrow. So many technicalities, no? He's decided he wants to be the "tie guy." Even today when he has nothing scheduled, he's showing up looking his best. (Channeling his inner high school Chod, I think.)

I can't wait to see how well he does. He's set some lofty goals for himself, but I'm sure he's capable of meeting them and more. I continue to be impressed by is determined and forthcoming ways. Last week he made some decisions that are pretty small and seemingly trivial on the whole, but could add up to a lot more than meets the eye. When they were challenged the very next day, he laid it out there for all his cohorts to know (while I cringed in the background, wanting him to just give in). Come to find out, he's not alone in his resolution, but he's the only one strong enough to stand up for it. A second year student in his program told him everyone starts out that way, but it's impossible. Well, my friend, he'll show you. I know he will.

Other upper classmates have told him that he's lucky to be married through this whole process. I can already sense it. He has purpose and motivation beyond what I think single students can have. I'm lucky I'm married to him for this whole adventure, too.

7 comments:

Nikkala said...

"Chris! Why are you wearing a blue tie?" Love Bentley

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm so glad you documented his first day of school Deidra! And your house. It's fun to see your house!

I'm excited to live this adventure with you through your blog. Good luck to both of you.

Alex and Sam said...

so excited!! good luck Chris!

chartie said...

One day down . . . 3-5 years (minus one day) to go! :-)

Corrine said...

I would say 5 years is a safer estimate! ha! I'm happy to offer my PhD advice to you, especially now that most of it is in retrospect. A few months left of pushing papers around and I should be done! Good luck and congrats Chris (and Deidra)! Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new house.

The Nate and Sara Project said...

Your house looks SO cute!! And I love that Chris has a first day of school picture. I hope he got to go shopping for new school clothes and that you packed his lunch. ;) Does Chris really want to wear a tie every day for the next several years?! That. above all other goals he has set for himself, is most impressive.
PS-I miss you. And I feel like I have no ties left to Logan, now. We are strangers to it without a connection to make it feel like home. :(

Jean said...

Yeah!! I'm glad you got the traditional first-day-of-school picture. :-)