Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Maternity Musings

Here are some random thoughts on my pregnancy thus far. One day, in just a few short months, I'm sure I won't be able to remember when I could see my toes, so it's good to document it as I go.

On pants:  I can still button my pants, and I they really aren't uncomfortable. I definitely look forward to putting on my PJs at the end of the day, but who doesn't? This marks three weeks from the imposed two week sentence from my doctor. Guess it's a good thing to have hips and thighs, so when I buy pants to fit those, it leaves room for a growing belly. Please note- not all my pants still fit. I wanted one wearing out of each of my black wool pants before retiring them to the belly, so Thanksgiving saw me trying the old hair elastic buttoning trick on my higher-waisted pants. But the elastic was too big, so it was sort of a fiasco.

On maternity clothes:  I'm so glad that before I knew I was pregnant, or if I'd ever be pregnant, I would shop really killer maternity deals. I have two pairs of Ann Taylor Loft maternity pants in my closet (okay, that's a lie, I'm wearing one right now. I've been slacking in the laundry dept, but as soon as my normal pants are dry, I'm back to those. I'm not a fan of hiking up my baggy pants all day long!) that I bought when ATL discontinued their maternity line, before bringing it back again. I've saved the mailing slip because I get so much satisfaction seeing that I paid under $9 combined for both pairs of pants + tax (free shipping). Boo-yah! And I have a couple maternity dresses, tanks and tops that were a few bucks each. Most of them I tried to make sure I could wear non-pregnant, but not all of them. Too bad right now I'm looking at my closet and seeing every thing I want to wear before it's too late. I think I could probably make several costume changes a day just to get them all in. So the maternity wear can wait, but I know I won't be completely empty-handed when I need to call it into service. Double bonus since maternity clothes options are limited here.

On belly buttons:  I've always loved having an outie belly button. I'm proud to be an outie. Until the outie starts popping before before my belly. It's not embarrassing yet, but that day probably isn't too far away. I've heard Band-Aids are the way to go.


On heartburn:  It's not so much a fire feeling as I'd been led to believe. More just a sharp stabbing right at my left ribs. Makes it hard to breath type stabbing. Tums are heaven-sent. And yes, I know the notion that heartburn = hairy baby. I've seen baby pictures of this baby's momma, and well, they didn't call her "Spook" for nothing. If she's anything like her momma, she'll come with a head full.

On names:  We've had a name agreed upon since before we got married. But I feel weird referring to an unborn person by a full name. I mean, what if I change my mind? I don't want her having embroidered blankets or wall art with a name that isn't hers. Far more people ask me about a name than I ever thought would. I've developed a canned response, "We have a name we agree on, so we'll see if it sticks." I much prefer calling her "Baby Girl," with a southern accent, ala Abilene from The Help (audiobook version). We've been told that we're missing out on one of the fun parts of pregnancy: arguing over names. We'll save that for baby number 2, and thank our lucky stars she isn't a boy!

On people's comments: People at church just found out last week. I've wondered if they had noticed my increase in size, since they don't know me as well. (And let's just say that my old shirt that said, "Flat as a Board" across the front is no longer appropriate. Who knew I could be more than an A?) After finding out, I got told over and over that I don't look pregnant at all. Which makes me wonder, "Do they think my mid-section is this thick normally?!" I was telling Chris about it, and he said I'd be even more offended if they had replied, "We thought you were!" It's true. They can't win. To me, I've got a belly, but it's not really that big. The friends that joined us for Thanksgiving said, "When we first met and you said you always packed around treats in your bag, we were suspicious! Plus, you take a water bottle to church!" They didn't believe me when I told them that really, I always do pack treats in my purse, pregnant or not. And I've been known to sip from my CamelBak during Sunday School, sans child in utero. It's better for every one if I don't get hungry or thirsty. No weird comments yet. I'm sort of looking forward to them. And practicing my Oh no you didn't! stare in the meantime. 

On my awesome husband:  He's cute. Last night Baby Girl put on quite a show for her daddy while we were praying and reading scriptures. (That's pretty much the only time I feel her now, while lying down and being still.) I asked Chris if feeling her made her seem more real. He answered, "It makes her seem more like an alien." Fair 'nough. 

On pregnancy in general: So far, so good.

And whoa-- that was wordy.

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

Congratulations!!! Somehow being out of town in my own town has made me super behind in the virtual world! I am so excited for both of you!!

The Gracie Jones blog said...

Way to be prepared Deid! You are lucky to have some good maternity clothes already, that will be nice for you. I have a VERY inny belly button, and by the end of my pregnancy it was popping out...so if you already have an outie, it will be an OUTIE outie :) you should post some growing belly pictures.

Remodelaholic said...

How in the world did I miss this news! I am so excited for you guys, Enjoy your smallness, it only lasts so long. I am just working on my second baby girl, I swear the second my body found out it was pregnant it gave up holding it in... I have 2.5 months to go and feel like I am big as I was when I delivered my first. URGH! But that is half the fun so just soak it all in!

Can't wait to see this sweet baby and find out what her name will be, when she arrives!

Zack said...

It's so funny how many things I can relate to looking back on my pregnancy! The name thing (I thought it was totally weird to call her by her name), everyone asking about names when we didn't want to tell, the alien thing, feeling like I looked pregnant but I really didn't, trying to wear all my normal clothes before I couldn't anymore... P.S. We might need to see a belly pic :)