Thursday, January 20, 2011

More from our MLK Adventure

Our day consisted of the MSI, a visit to Albanese Candy Factory, Baby Depot and Babies R Us.

One of the exhibits at the MSI made us laugh out loud. Welcome to the city, my friends. Climbing aboard a combine that chopped fake corn and went through a field via video screen was a hit. I had to take a picture for Hudson and the rest of the Hillmans. Come visit us and we can take you on a fake combine ride! :)

Chris got to relive his days as a cow-milker. His time was 11 seconds, but he says it's a sham. No iodine dip or rinse. But, if this PhD gig doesn't work out, I know he's still got it. It's good to have a man with skills. (And these skills are applying a milker, not milking by hand.)

The exhibit was clearly sponsored (and influenced) by big farm companies, and their money. I'm always interested to see how information is presented at a museum. Forming exhibits and condensing the information would be tricky. This one clearly had a pro-big ag slant. Not that I don't agree with some of the info they presented, it's just intriguing to see how it happens.
Chris was completely enthralled by the chocolate dripping from the ceiling

My favorite stop of our day out was at Albanese Candy Factory, Home of the World's Best Gummies, and some pretty good chocolates, too. We stocked up on gummies: bears, butterflies and more bears. And a couple chocolates. On the way home we realized we probably didn't get enough. After eating some Target brand gummies last night, Chris and I concurred that there really is a big difference and Albansese wins. Yum!

It's fun venturing to sites beyond our own little town, especially with Chris. He's incredibly good under pressure, navigating from a map and keeping a cool head in crazy traffic. If only school allowed for more play and less nose to the grindstone. Boo.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Nothing makes a blog post more interesting than a picture of someone staring @ a cow's bum! (Although I realize that's not really what he's doing - it kind of looks that way!)

And... who wouldn't me mesmerized by chocolate falling from the ceiling! I know I sure would!

Michelle said...

I am glad you guys are finding some time to explore! The candy factory looks quite yummy!