Friday, April 1, 2011

Anticipation

Back at the beginning of the year (think about it-- January feels like so long ago) I scheduled my appointments until the very end of pregnancy. It seemed like I was booked until Kingdom Come. Well, next Monday is my last one. How does that happen?

Things are progressing along and I'm going to have a baby. It's a little beyond my comprehension. My parents come in less than two weeks. I'm looking forward to their visit more than I am to having a baby. I know what to expect from a visit from my parents-- I have no idea what to expect from having a baby! Their visit a much more concrete thing to imagine, so I kind of focus on it. Plus, I know the exact date and time they'll arrive; Baby Girl is so much more mysterious.

Last Saturday I had a baby shower. I made sure my camera battery was charged and ready to go. And as we were cleaning up I realized it had stayed in my purse the entire time! Go figure. I was too busy eating and chatting. It was a fabulous shower and I'm so grateful for friends here. A crêpe bar and a chocolate fountain, with enough fruit to satisfy this pregnant woman. Lots of happy colors, cheerful spring-y china to eat on and good friends. Baby Girl and I were spoiled. We got lots of books, most of them I hadn't read, so I'm looking forward to those. (And to think I thought myself well read when it came to children's books, between the nephews and tutoring. Apparently there were some gems escaping me!) I'm so grateful for everyone who has helped me get ready for Baby Girl's appearance. Especially moms who give me something I'd never think of, but will probably use and love. It's good to have combined wisdom helping me get ready for this next step.

A package arrived for Baby Girl from Grandma Parish this week. So loved. Look at these gorgeous quilts!
My mom was a little leery of my fabric choices, but I think she has realized they aren't as "out there" as she thought they were. They might even look, dare we say... babyish?! I love them, and I know that Baby Girl will, too! An adorable little romper with a Peter Pan collar and smocking was in the package, too. Good work that Grandma bargain hunter!

Now we wait. And continue to tie up some loose ends. I bought a fresh pineapple on Monday because it sounded so good. I devoured it. Then Kroger had them on sale, pineapples for $1.25 a piece (killer deal). Yesterday I bought three. I'm probably 1/3 through the first one, with no intention of slowing down. Last night a friend told me you, "You know, fresh pineapple is supposed to induce labor, according to those old wives' tales!" If so, I've got plenty stocked to get things going. If not, well, I'm still in pineapple heaven!

6 comments:

Troy and Brittany said...

Oh Deid...I love those quilts! Absolutely beautiful!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Deidra, this is so exciting. I completely understand being excited for the concrete visit of your folks versus the unknown of baby girl. How fun.

Your quilts are beautiful. I can't wait to see your baby wrapped up in them.

kim edvarchuk said...

Love the colors of the quilts. I know how you feel about the final countdown. It was nerve wracking for me...is today going to be the day? When I finally went into labor I didn't really realize it right away...weird huh? But you are going to do great and be a great mom. I won't lie...it's frustrating and challenging..but your daughter is going to be so cute and you will love her so much (and its still surreal)

Anonymous said...

those are fun and happy quilts! baby girl will love them, i'm sure. and you talking about pineapple makes me want some so bad!

Lindsay said...

Beautiful quilts. Congrats on making to the end! YAY!

Rochelle said...

Amazing quilts. I can't even imagine having the skill or patience to produce such a fine quilt. Great job! And the fabric choice is perfect.